The strong influence of media over people’s daily life is one of the factors attracting youngsters to pursue a career in the mass communication industry. The other, is the many career prospects that a mass communications degree offers. As a mass communications graduate, you can aspire to work in any job role that requires constant communication.
A mass communication degree will prepare you to join the workplace immediately after graduation. If you have a technical mass communication qualification, the job avenues available to you include:
1. Copywriter – Responsible for writing the creative taglines and stories for different forms of advertising.
2. Journalism – You can work as a journalist for print, television, or radio.
3. Media planner – He/she is responsible for planning the use of different types of media, and managing the media expenses.
4. TV producer – Handles all aspects of production of a documentary, film, news, or television serial.
5. Camera person – The person who is literally working behind the scene!
6. Copy editor – Works in publication houses as editor for reviewing content submitted by other writers.
7. Public relations officer or PRO – Is responsible for handling the publicity of an organisation or for multiple clients.
8. Corporate communications – Like the PRO, the corporate communications executive is responsible for framing communication about the company with the press, investors, or with customers.
9. Event management – Hosting events such as weddings, trade shows, fashion shows etc.
10. Radio Jockey – Host shows on national and private radio channels.
After a mass communication degree, you can also pursue other careers which involve people communication. Some of these include
1. Travel Agent
2. Placement Officer
3. Marketing Manager
4. Corporate Trainer
5. Hotel Manager
7. Lobbyist / Fundraiser
8. Market Researcher
9. Technical Writer
10. College Professor